ME!

SHANNON !
13/07/92 and 23
Ex-rosythian, ex-sky, ex-srjcian, NSmen, FASS!
ILOVEMYLIFE!
theGeography
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
October 2012
December 2012
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
July 2013
August 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
May 2015
June 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015


theCredits
Designer - LiTtL3 aH mA
Softwares - Photoshop/Dreamweaver
Hoster - Photobucket


 
Year 1 x Semester 1
Monday, December 30, 2013; ( 4:16 PM )

Here's a module review for myself for year 1 semester 1 of my NUS. Being a freshie and perhaps like most other freshies, it'll either be to study very hard or play and play, and play. I had a goal and made a pact with FF that we would all achieve first class honours at the end of our 4 years.
Well easier said than done, especially with my 1st semester being lower than what I expected. Wrong mods? Slacked towards the end? These seem like petty excuses to me yet somehow on hindsight, I find the cause of my 'poor' results was due to me slacking at the reading week. Nonetheless, here's a module review of my past semester

Year 1 Semester 1. 6 Modules

EC1101E - Introduction to Economic Analysis (B+)

Content: Nothing too heavy. Coming from a H2 econs background and being my major in FASS, this seem like a pretty easy module to me. At the back of my mind I was like gahh sure can ace this module one. People say that the bell curve for EC1101E is STEEP, and yes is freaking steep. Overconfidence got me a 24/30 for my mid terms which is 30%. I thought that was good, until i found out that the average was 22.75/30. At the back of my mind, I was like damn, 24/30 would probably get me a B+ even if I ace the finals. And well, that looks to be the case. Should not have underestimated this module.

Workload: Nothing too heavy on the micro but learnt quite alot more stuff on the macro side. Attend all tutorials to get the 10% class participation. No projects just tutorials. Present answers every lesson and tutors were quite good in answering questions.

Exams: MCQ but hmmm MCQ has the downside of it being very content related and people tend to score well in MCQ. Bell curve tend to be very steep so yup, severe underestimation of the exam.

SE1101E - Southeast Asia: A Changing Region (B+)
Content: As usual, another reading module which means having weekly readings. The breakdown was pretty spreadout, in the sense that it's 20% for mid terms, 30% for group project and 10% for class participation. With a stroke of luck, I manage to get A- for the mid terms, group project and I'm pretty sure i participated in class. So then came the finals with my overconfident self thinking I'll ace it. Looks like it turned out the exact opposite.

Workload: Discussions during tutorial. I had a super cui tutor so tutorials were a bore for me. Group project takes some effort though.

Exams: Essays. And for those who love writing essays. This is a pretty good module to take.

PC1325 - Einstein's Universe and Quantum Weirdness (B+)

Content: Took this as a bredth module and I'm pretty satisfied with my grade tbh. The prof was @!$#&^%)(& good in his lectures and he drops hints regularly so be sure to listen in lecture. In class assignments, star gazing etc. Pretty easy components to score esp with forums post and all that. I really liked this module towards the end when the lectures were about sky nomenclature and quantum stuff. Group project was a story writing and writing with my buds was freaking awesome. Took more time then my SE1101 Module though.

Workload: Just listen in lectures and it'll be fine.

Exams: MCQ open book. Yet another open book, good and bad, but in this case, ITS GOOD. I would have died if I didn't have the book.

PH1102E - Introduction to Philosophy (B)

Content: I had second thoughts when I first took this module. Couldn't decide between this or history but philosophy seemed to very interested and sure it was! I enjoyed the readings, at least the moral philosophy part but not the computer portion which is the later half of the semesters. A summary has to be submitted every week which is kinda difficult because the text itself is HARD. Google it and you should be fine. I had a strict marker and made certain misintepretations along the summary which pulled my overall grade down. Didn't listen in lectures, was always playing fun run or talking crap with friends around me. Oh well, expected better.

Workload: Just keep reading I guess.

Exams: MCQ no open book. Average is prolly about 10/20 so yea you get the idea. It's crazy tricky and makes you think so much you just wanna get it over and done with.

SC1101E - Making Sense of Society (B-)

Content: ALOT OF READINGS. And I gave up reading the course pack halfway cause it was pretty hard to understand. No project just a short term assignment. Dun spend so much time on it cause unless you put in alot of effort and nailed it, prolly end up with a B or B+. Midterms was 4 choose 1 and what I studied did not come out. Yup, i spot topics. Skipped many lectures because there were webcasts. I REALLY REGRET TAKING THIS MODULE.

Workload: Prepare before tutorial and come in with something to say. Here's where i regret the most in this module, not participating in class. Probably that's what explained my B-.

Exams: 6 choose 2. I thought I got it. It was pretty do-able compared to the previous semesters. Well I guess the bell curve this semester was insane.

ES1102 - English for Academic Purpose (B)

Content: Teaches you how to cite and write a proper uni level essay. It really helped me alot and I feel blessed i failed my QET. Tutorials are rather painful because it's 4 hours per week. But I really learnt alot and made friends in ES1102. This felt more like a class over any other classes.

Workload: Insane. There are so many assignments! And so many close deadlines and overall it's really a chore meeting each one of them. Seriously most bothersome and troublesome module in my semester.

Exams: Essay. I left early for this one. Was rushing to go out. Just had to pass and I'm pretty sure my other assignments already made this module a pass for me.




Live ;D